Creative Wedding Centerpiece on a Budget…..

…using dollar store products, nature and imagination!!

With the wedding season underway and with another daughter getting married, I thought I’d share a couple of projects I created for my first daughter (Renee’s) wedding.  She and her fiancé chose an elegant setting that required special consideration to make use of the beautiful venue.  The colour palette of red and gold (yellow) were wonderful to work with and gave me multiple ideas.  I was asked to make  centerpieces for the wedding that would work with the setting, yet not break the bank.  My creative juices were in overdrive as I searched through Pinterest for ideas.  There are many creative ideas out there, but not what I was looking for.   Finally, I saw something in a shop display that gave me an idea.  I started with two items from the dollar store and some glue from Home Depot:

apothocary jar.png

APOTHOCARY JAR

I began by gluing the candlestick to the bottom of the jar.  The lid was removed and set aside for another project which will be used for the centerpieces for my daughter, Ashley’s wedding (another post in the next couple of months).  The nice thing about Welbond glue is that it dries clear, so you don’t see any evidence of the glue and it’s strong.  I set the jars aside for several days so the glue could dry real hard and wouldn’t come apart.

The next stage in this project is only limited to one’s imagination.  I wanted these centerpieces to be unique, one-of-a-kind creations that would befit the occasion.  Another criterion was that both my daughter and I didn’t want them to obstruct the view of guests sitting at the tables.

20170417_143356_resized

To start, I used stainless steel wire and threaded craft pearls with antique hues  around the rim of the jars, twisting and curling as required to give an interesting yet elegant look.  I then hot glued (to the jar) grape vine leaves, pine cones, eucalyptus leaves, berries and filler sprigs to fill up space.  As an added touch, I attached these cute little antique keys for an added touch to represent good luck.  Much of what was added to the jars were materials I had collected over the years with no particular use in mind at the time. Maybe they were just waiting to be part of this wedding!

Once the jars were finished the next step was to create the arrangement.  These items were collected mostly from outside from a field on my in-law’s property.  We collected brown and red branches and twigs from bushes that we cut down to a reasonable size.  To add elegance, I got some grasses and berry sprigs on sale at Michael’s. Lastly, I had to decide what filler I was going to use in the jars to hold the arrangement.  To be as cost effective and environmentally friendly as possible, I ended going with bird seed (the idea came to me as I was walking through Bulk Barn and saw how colourful and interesting the birdseed looked.)  I had thought of coffee beans or rice but they would have been too costly.

All in all, I was very pleased with the results and received many compliments. My daughter and I gave the arrangements away at the end of the evening to family and friends as a show of appreciation and thanks.  The cost of these centerpieces came to about $5 each, which goes to show you don’t have to break the bank to make something beautiful out of ordinary materials when on a budget!

wedding1

Finished centerpieces on my dining room table!

 

wedding 2

Finished product!

 

wedding 3

The full effect at the venue!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s